+27 (0) 82 410 5859 admin@smasa.cc
SMASA

Food myths busted!

Food myths busted!

We often read articles or hear stories about certain foods and how ‘bad’ they are for our overall health. Here are a few common food myths that can be put to rest:

1.     Are eggs bad for you?

For years we have been told that these cholesterol rich proteins are unhealthy. However, only about 25 percent of the cholesterol in your blood comes from food. The other 75 percent is manufactured by the liver, which produces lots of cholesterol when you eat sources of saturated fat—something eggs are low in.

2.     Does coffee cause cancer?

Coffee has been linked to cancer on several occasions over the past generation. Studies have actually shown that drinking coffee appears to offer some protection against certain conditions, including Parkinson’s disease and type two diabetes.

3.     Does only red wine protect the heart?

Red wine contains high levels of phytochemical called resveratrol, which acts as an antioxidant and reduces inflammation. However, it’s the alcohol in wine or beer that’s responsible for most heart-related benefits. Alcohol raises “good” cholesterol and seems to make blood less likely to clot. Overconsumption is not recommended.

4.     Are raw fruits and vegetables more nutritious than cooked ones?

Heat destroys enzymes in foods that make them easily digested. The cooking process breaks down fibre, making it easier for your body to process. It actually increases levels of important compounds in some fruits and vegetables.

5.     Are frozen and canned fruits and vegetables less nutritious than fresh ones?

Fresh fruits and vegetables are more definitely nutritious than the frozen and canned variety—when they are picked and eaten as soon as possible. During shipping and storage, natural enzymes are released in fresh fruit and vegetables that cause them to lose nutrients, while quick-freeze fresh-picked produce preserves much of its vitamin and mineral content.

6.     Are nuts too fattening?

Nuts contain a lot of fat, but it’s mostly the good kind. Dry roasted peanuts, for example, have three to four times more heart-healthy fat than saturated fat. Recent research suggests that eating nuts as part of a healthy diet may even help you lose weight. Nuts are an excellent fibre source and provide a long list of nutrients, including vitamin E, magnesium and copper.

Keeping these busted myths in mind, lead a healthier lifestyle by incorporating good foods into your diet and add a light exercise to your daily routine. Your energy levels will improve immediately!